Oats are my friends because they are CHEAP & HEALTHY so they deserve a post !
I suggest to keep oats in your cupboard at all times, if you ever run out of money you can always eat oats with water 🙂
Joke aside, some of the benefits of oats:
- Lowers cholesterol: A study showing people who ate a bowl of oatmeal every day lowered their cholesterol by 20%.
- Stabilises blood sugar levels: Oats keep you fuller for longer without sugar highs and crashes.
- Lowers the cancer risk: Oats have high levels of fibre, which lower oestrogen levels which prevents cancer.
- Reduces high blood pressure: 1 in 3 adults has hypertension. Oats are high in soluble fibre which helps to reduce hypertension.
- Keeps bowel movements regular: The high fibre content helps speed the passage of the bowel through the body reducing constipation.
- Helps you lose weight: Oats help you feel fuller longer which curbs your appetite. Studies have shown that children who eat a bowl of oatmeal a day are 50% less likely to suffer from obesity.
- Improves athletic performance: It has been shown that oats alter metabolism and enhance performance if eaten about an hour before exercise.
- Oats help to have a longer healthier life: Oat of all the grains, oats have a higher better balance of protein, and a good balance of essential fatty acids. Oats have a great range of vitamins and minerals and beta glucan which helps the body to heal quickly.
- Oats are tasty: Oats have a very neutral taste so they can be added to many types of food and used for many different dishes.
- Oats can help you sleep: Oats are also good at night time to help beat insomnia. NIGHT SNACK IDEA !!
Soooo my advice is to keep frozen fruits in freezer, some bananas, some nuts and you are good to have healthy breakfast or snack for days You don’t even need milk, oats cooked on the hob in water will actually be super creamy, but you can decide: Milk, Oat / Almond / Rice / Coconut / Hemp “drink” ( can’t really call it milk) makes it delicious too.
What else ? Well…you will need imagination !
- Cooked Apple, pears & Cinnamon
- Oven roasted bananas & Nuts ( stolen from #Marcel in Montmartres, Paris)
- Chocolate, Berries & Peanut Butter
Instructions required ? I personally prefer it on the hob, the microwave dries it out too much. Come on, stop being lazy !
- Take a pan, fill it with 3 glasses of water
- Add 2 glasses of unrefined oats
- Cook on low heat, but keep watching it as it is super quick. Add more water if it s too thick, more oats if it’s too liquid.
- Add agave syrup if you wish it sweet !
- Combine your favourite topping ( take a pic & send it to me ) and eat !