Did you know ?
All the world’s one billion hungry people could be fed on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the US, UK and Europe
Food waste is worth £700 per year to the average UK family
The ingredients from my morning breaky were all going to be thrown by the supermarkets:
- Ready made pancakes reduced from the shop at £0.40p for 6 ( I could make my own but rather reduce waste)
- The yogurt was reduced to £0.40 for a full tub. I will use the rest to top up soups
- The strawberries were reduced to 0.50 for a full pack, I froze the rest for smoothies
Expiration dates are a sham .
Expiration dates are based on rough estimates. They can tell you when a carton of eggs or a raw steak will most likely reach the limit for its best quality, but that’s about it.
- Shop after 6pm to get your hands veggies, herbs (coriander, basil etc) fruits, bread, croissants, crumpets, pancakes etc and freeze them at home.
- Download the “olio” app: members post items they are not going to use but going to be binned. It is all free.
- Download the “TooGoodToGo” app: restaurants reduce price of items each day – grab a bargain for a weekly date with a friend !